Mrs Mac

SEND Coordinator

My name is Mrs Mac and I am the SENCo at The Sir Donald Bailey Academy.

As SENCO I support the staff by coordinating specific groups and provision to ensure your child achieves their potential. We want to work in partnership with you to effectively support your child in school.

If you have any worries about your child’s specific needs please talk to your child’s class teacher in the first instance. I am also happy to meet with you and can often help you to find the right service in the community to help with particular issues. Alternatively please call the school office on 01636 680142 or email to arrange an appointment.

Please refer to the ‘Local Offer’ page to find out more about how The Sir Donald Bailey Academy supports children with SEND.

The Local Offer

Supporting all children with SEND requirements

The government has listened to what parents say about their experiences of what services are like and have put in place a number of things to bring about improvements. One of these is the Local Offer.

Local authorities and other services will set out a local offer of all services available to support children who are disabled or who have SEN and their families. This easy-to-understand information for parents and young people will set out what is normally available to help children with lower-level SEN, as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

You can find more detailed information about this is in the SEND Local Offer document below.

Education, Health and Care

Requesting a statutory education, health and care assessment

A parent/carer, a young person in their own right, or any professional working with a child, young person or family can make a referral for an EHC Statutory Assessment, however it is usually expected that the following will apply:

If all other levels of support have been accessed by partners but the child/young person’s education is still being affected, then a referral for a statutory EHC Assessment can be made by contacting:

Integrated Children’s Disability Service Assistant Team



Who can support you and your child?


Educational Psychologists give advice to schools, parents and Local Authorities on the needs and difficulties of children and on ways of helping them. The psychologist may want to give your child some things to do individually. They may also observe your child in a classroom or nursery, visit you in your home and talk to the teacher and anyone else who knows your child well. Educational Psychologists focus on how to help your child learn and offer advice around this. They do not offer therapy.


Occupational Therapists are trained to help your child be as independent as possible, advising on equipment if necessary.


The Physical Disability Support Service has been developed to improve co-ordination of Local Authority services to meet the needs of pupils with physical disabilities. The service provides mainstream schools with advice, support and training.


Physiotherapists are trained to assess your child’s mobility and physical development. This might include things like co-ordination, ability to sit, stand and walk. They can advise the school on how best to help your child develop, how best to keep your child as mobile as possible and on any appropriate specialist equipment your child might need. A physiotherapist can work with you and the school to deliver a programme to help your child’s mobility.


They are qualified nurses with extra training in child health and can also advise the school about health and medical needs.


The Specialist Family Support Service is organised on an area basis (North and South). Each area has a team of specialist teachers and teaching assistants with a wide range of skills and experience. They work with pupils, parents, staff in schools or early years settings and other professionals.


Speech and Language Therapy Service If your child is having problems speaking or communicating with other people, the school may seek advice from a speech and language therapist. They are trained in providing assessment and support with speech and communication development in children.


If you are experiencing difficulties at home with you children and would like some support, school can refer to a Family Support Worker from the Children’s Centre. Theresa Wiles is the worker who usually works with families from Bowbridge. She can offer support such as behaviour management, help with routines, advice re accessing benefits and signpost to other support within the community. Contact Mrs Connolly for more details.


The Sir Donald Bailey Academy have achieved the Dyslexia Friendly School Kite Mark so have effective support and provision for children with Dyslexia. Please see below for more details about how to support a child with Dyslexia.